Saturday, May 4, 2013

Hair for Hope


Last year I told you all about Type III projects in this post. This year, we have had dozens more amazing Type III projects. (Post to come soon). One very special project was completed by three girls called Hair for Hope. The young ladies researched about cancer, interviewed two local cancer specialists, and decided to organize an event where JJ Harris students and teachers could donate their hair to Pantene Pro V Beautiful Lengths

Four local hair stylists came to the school and cut the hair of people donating for free on Tuesday, April 29th.  Participating students and teachers were able to take part in a "pamper party" where my friend Marisa painted their nails and another teacher did their make-up. They could try on jewelry loaned by my friend Layla (a Stella and Dot Consultant) and complete a project the students created on Renzulli Learning to learn more about cancer. 

We ended up having 23 people cut their hair and several others bring in hair. It was really an amazing project.I am so proud of the girls, and I hope they remember this experience forever. 

The girls made the front page of the newspaper! Click this link to check it out!

*note- I usually do not post pictures of children from school, but all these students have media releases, and these pictures are actually from the newspaper article.

These 16 people were the original girls/women who agreed to cut their hair. However, once it started, 7 more teachers popped down and decided to cut their hair!!








The girls with the volunteers!


So much hair to donate!! I think we have enough to make at least 3 wigs!

No comments:

Post a Comment