Sunday, April 22, 2012

Just a Prom Date


When Philip and I met in February of 1999, I was a freshman and he was a SENIOR! My parents really liked him (how could they not?), but were of course nervous when we started dating being that he was a bit older than me. They told us a few years ago that when discussing us dating one night my mom told my dad, "Don't worry, he just wants a prom date." 

Valdosta High School Prom 1999

Well, I guess they were right, because 13 years later, we attended our fourth prom. Landon went to visit his Aunt Sharon for the night, and Philip and I enjoyed a late night of prom festivities! For more blast from the past dance pictures, read this post! :)

Dressed up for the North Oconee High School Prom 2012

Landon was so happy when he got picked up by Aunt Sharon. He knew he was in for a night of fun!

Landon having fun with Brittney's dog Jack!

A visit with Aunt Sharon and Heather is never complete without a trip to Target!
For our prom night, we first went out to dinner with all the administrators and counselors at the school. They are so much fun, and we had a delicious dinner at Chops and Hops in downtown Watkinsville. Then we went to the Foundry Room at the Classic Center in Athens for the dance. We got there early and stayed until the end! We only danced to one song, but it was still a lot of fun! (Philip was technically working) I loved watching all of the kids interact and the girls looked beautiful in their dresses.


I thought the room looked beautiful! We had a bunch of cheesy cardboard decorations at our prom. :) NOHS had a very classy prom. 
Philip and Mr. Dowis talking to the DJ before the dance. They were instructing her to only play clean versions of songs! Last year they had a few issues with this, but this year she was great and kept it clean! 

Debi McNeal and me at the sign in table for the last hour of the prom.
The two high schools in Oconee county come together on prom night and have a huge after prom celebration. The kids come from 11:30pm until 6 am. I think this is such a great idea because it keeps kids off the roads and gives them something fun to do with all their friends. There were about 300 kids there enjoying all the activities. This year it was at Oconee, and next year it will be at North. They had tons of good food donated from local businesses, bouncy slides, a mechanical bull, a dance room, movie room, painted tattoos, a photo booth, laser tag, and all kinds of sporting events kids could participate in. At the end of the night, the kids can win prizes, including $1000! So much fun! I went until about 1:30 and Philip stayed to help the entire night!

Here we are on one of the bouncy slides. It looks like I'm going face first, but really I am sitting.  Philip jumped down crazy and flipped off!


I love to watch Philip with the kids. He is so good with them. He is tough and has high expectations, but then he will spend quality time with them and have fun with them. Every boy that walked by throughout the entire night stopped to shake his hand or give him a hug. So many of them wanted to challenge him in a game of basketball or some other sport. It is obvious that he is a good role model for them. Here is a great video of him competing with some guys in "Just Dance." Philip is the one in the yellow shirt.



We had such a fun night! I'm glad that Philip chose me so many years ago for his prom date, and I have to say that I will be happy being his prom date for the rest of our lives! 

2 comments:

  1. I love this!!! E and I met and "went out" in 99' too! :) I love both of your prom dresses!! So glad Lan Man had fun weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sweet! he seems like a lot of fun and really sweet :)

    ReplyDelete