Thursday, March 24, 2016

Science Fair!

I have led a science club for the past 7 years! Each year we submit projects, artwork, and/or inventions to the district-wide science fair, which is always held on a Saturday. We also have teams compete in the aeronautics, bridge building, and tower competitions.

This year was even more special because Landon got to participate. He participates in all the club activities, and so when we were all deciding on roles for the competitions, I didn't originally place him on the team. Some of my wonderful boys who were going to be in the bridge competition said, "Dr. Brown, what about Landon? He's not on a team." I told them that he would have to wait until next year when he was in Kindergarten. The boys insisted that I let him be on their team, and so for the next several weeks, they took him under their wings and taught him how to use the k'nex and where to put each of the pieces for their design.


(Landon at age 4 at the Science Fair and age 11 months)

I emailed the director and made sure it was okay for Landon to participate since he was only in PreK. She said it was fine, so I asked Landon if he'd like to do a project too, and of course he said yes! I told him that he could pick any topic for his science project, and he said he wanted to learn about sinking and floating.



We were excited about all of our awards as a school, and Landon even won third place in his division for his science fair project! But I think what warmed my heart the most was how much care and compassion those fourth graders showed to Landon! I hope that he learns from their actions and recognizes that winning isn't everything, but how you treat people is what is most important in life!



And to top it all off, my parents were able to come up and enjoy it all with us! We went out to eat on Friday night, then had a blast Saturday morning hanging out at the Science Fair! Even though it was a quick visit, it sure was a special one!














No comments:

Post a Comment